Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billslatteryjr
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
Tips wanted for new V1 & possible future V3 shooter
9 months ago

The V3 and the new 70-300mm lens got me. I shoot a good deal of sports for a couple small local newspapers and some of near everything else with birds and insects second.

I just picked up a used V1 w/30mm lens for $271 on EBay to make sure the 1 Series will work for me before spending $2200 on the new gear and for practicing on. Had already ordered a FT1 as soon as I saw the official V3 announcement. My main sports camera is a D4 with a 70-200 f2.8 for low light and the 80-400 for daylight. A D800 is the backup and wears a 24-70 f2.8 mostly for close-ups. Birds get shot with the D800 and the 80-400mm. Butterflies and such get the D800 and a 105 Micro.

I'd really like some tips on setting up and using the V1 with the FT1 and a 70-200 and the 80-400. Baseball has just started here which has me wondering about how close the new 70-300 lens will be to fitting in the chain link fence openings. Also there's a nice drive-by stretch of creek with a mixed batch of waterfowl that never let me get close enough for the 80-400 on a full frame. And while I can sit in a blind in the backyard for hours photographing small birds. The thought of sitting all camoed for hours hoping a duck will swim by just doesn't appeal to me at this stage of the game.

I soot RAW and use Lightroom.

Thank you.

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow