The one thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,247Gear list
Like?
Re: The one thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed lenses
In reply to SunsetBk, 9 months ago

SunsetBk wrote:

I a small weather sealed lens would be very welcome. I know that weather sealing takes up space, but the EM5 is small and its been out for 2 years. If it could be pared up with a weather sealed pancake it would be amazing. So far all of the weather sealed lenses are quite large: 12-40 2.8, 12-50, 12-35 panasonic, and 60mm macro. What I would really would enjoy would be a 12-32 weather sealed pancake, or a 25mm fast weather sealed prime. Is there any reason that weather sealed usually mean large on micro four thirds?

While I can see the attraction of primes for some things, for me the issue is lack of long zoom options (without going to the classic 4/3rds 50-200mm). Typically when I'm doing events, and it is raining, the last thing I want to do is change lenses. So I would mount the 50-200mm on either the E-5 or E-3, and mount the 14-54mm or 11-22mm on the other.

While the forthcoming 40-150mm f/2.8 will be nice, I would like to see a weather sealed consumer long zoom lens, either the 75-300mm or 14-150mm. As it is, I've blown my camera budget for the year, so it will be a long time before I can think about the current weather sealed lenses.

Particularly with Olympus starting to offer E-M5's at fire sale prices (presumably to clear the decks for the E-M5 mark 2), more people are picking up the E-M5 (like I did on the Presidents day 20% sale of refurbished cameras), and not all of us have champange budgets.

In terms of weather sealing, I think Olympus made a branding mistake in making the E-M10 an OM-D.  Before that, OM-D meant weather sealing and builtin EVF.  Well the E-M10 has the EVF, but it doesn't have the weather sealing.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow