Sharpest 24mm prime to go on a D610

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,739
Like?
Re: The answer isn't a prime...
In reply to anotherMike, 9 months ago

anotherMike wrote:

I'm a wide angle freak. I'm really "hard" on them as the D800E I use shows no mercy with them. (I also shoot a D610). So keep that in mind when I offer my answer:

There is NO affordable really sharp 24mm prime. The best option is, IMO, the 24/1.4G AFS Nikkor or the Zeiss 25/2 Distagon (for short to moderate subject distances), but neither of those is affordable by a long shot.

The other prime choices aren't much. The 24/2.8 AFD is mush on the corners - it wasn't professionally sharp even on the 6mp D100 I owned 10 years ago, so forget about it on a D610.

So that means we have to return to the zooms. And surprise of surprises - for ME, I've been downright SHOCKED at how good the little 18-35G f/3.5 - f/4.5 AFS (the newer one) is in the 18-27/28-ish range. No - the lens isn't perfect - it's decidedly WEAK, for sure, at 35mm. It's a dim viewfinder since the lens isn't a fast lens or a 2.8 zoom. But I shot with it again recently and lived a lot right where you are asking - the 24-27mm range, and it's impressive there if you are willing to stop it down a bit (which you'd have to do anyway) - quite so considering the price.

So if you want really good 24mm performance and don't mind a wide zoom with flexibility and can handle a dimmer viewfinder and a slower aperture, plus are wiling to stop it down a bit, (and you tape the zoom ring so it never hits 35mm), this one is an easy and affordable answer in my mind.

-m

Thanks for the headsup on the 18-35 (as you say the newer one).  I am, after all, a short zoom kind of guy.  I just researched this lens at Lenstip.com comparing it to the 24-85 VR and it indeed tested out sharper at the focal lengths I'm most interested in.

Lightweight, fairly inexpensive...my kind of lens!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow