Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724
Like?
D4 500mm f4vr and TC's
9 months ago

I use a D800 with a 500mm f4vr. Yesterday I tried a Canon 1DX and 600mm f4ISLII with a 2x TC.

I was very impressed with how sharp images were OTC and how fast and accurate the AF was. The lens did not need any stopping down.

I tried to get close to both parameters with my D800, 500mm f4 and the 2TCEIII but couldn't match the IQ nor the AF ability which was hit and miss. Light was middling. The D800 in 1.2 crop mode has a field of view = to 600mm so image size was similar but the Nikon had 24mpx in the frame and the Canon had 18mpx. I needed to use f9 and tried f11 too on the Nikon.

I wondered if the difference was down to the lenses or the camera or both.

I wondered particularly if a D4 with the 2TCEIII on a 500mmf4vr would produce better IQ with more accurate AF than the D800 with a 500mm f4vr and the 2TCEIII.

Anyone with a D4, D800, 500mm f4vr and the 2TCIII know the answer please?

I also heard that the iDX AF is faster and more accurate than a D4 and that the D4s may have addressed that.

Canon EOS-1D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon D4s Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow