75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,098Gear list
Like?
Re: 75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, 9 months ago

As you said in your first post, it depends a lot on your style of shooting. I do very little long tele shooting, but I do a lot of portrait and social event work, a little street photography and some scenics primarily when traveling. The 75 fits in very nicely on the portrait and social event work.

At a recent gathering I covered for our town government, I got the overall "establishing" shots with the 12-40 zoom but the 75 helped me zero in on details and individuals. A longer zoom could have done that, but the 75 forced my eye very beneficially.

It is a very special lens.

All that said, your gear selection seems to be light on the tele end, so I repeat my recommendation of including the Oly 40-150 for those times when only long will do. The cost for this pair would likely be about the same as for the Panny zoom.

Edit: I just got a job to do 40 corporate portraits. I submitted 6 sample shots with my bid. The three shots they liked the most were the only ones shot with the 75. It got me the job.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow