Sharpest 24mm prime to go on a D610

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
Re: Sharpest 24mm prime to go on a D610
In reply to toomanycanons, 5 months ago

Since you don't mention a budget, I don't think people will be able to help much on the "affordable" issue. Candidates for "sharpest" without a budget constraint will probably include the Nikon 24mm f/1.4, but that's probably not affordable by your definition. I suspect the right range of lenses for you might be the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 and the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 (manual focus). Nikon has the 24mm f/2.8D, but it doesn't have that great a reputation on the higher resolution bodies.

Having said that, I don't think the 24-85VR is bad at all; 24mm is actually the strongest focal length of that lens. Here's an image shot handheld at 24mm, f/5.6, and 1/30 sec:

The Achilles mural at the top of the grand staircase, Achilleion Palace, Corfu

I'm not posting that as an example of extreme sharpness, since it was shot at such a slow speed and ISO 3200, but note that the edge sharpness is not that different from the center.

I do shoot primes. My favorite lenses on my D800 are my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and the Nikon 85mm f/1.4G, and I frequently go out with just those two lenses. If I could find something of similar quality at 24mm for under about $1200, I'd probably go for it; I'm hoping such a lens will eventually be part of the Sigma ART line. Until then, I'll make do with one of my zooms.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow