Sony A6000 already outdated by Nikon v3...........

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,219Gear list
Like?
Re: APS-C can match any equivalent 1" longer focal length.
In reply to Greynerd, 8 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

That is the whole issue in that you can always extract many different 1" sensor focal length equivalent views out of an aps-c sensor greater than the actual focal length whereas with the 1" the extract crop is all you have.

But unless your 1" equivalent crop has 12, 14, or 18mp, the Nikons still have an advantage with their crop.

nzmacro wrote:

yomasa wrote:

Sony has no lens that will give me 850mm without adding adapters and big ass lenses

....Or are you talking about the crop factor of the sensor, because that actually has nothing to do with focal length. A 300mm is a 300mm, unless you add a touch of magic to it somehow and it grows. Sensor crop factor can't physically grow a lens in focal length.

I always refer to my lenses for what they are even on APS-C, a 300 is a 300, the 500 is a 500 and the 800 is an 800. I can't change that no matter what sensor is stuck behind it. Its even written on the lens !!

What matters at the end of the day is that while standing at a particular spot, I want a certain framing.  If my desired framing is equivalent to 850mm on full-frame, then it's true that that's going to be hard to come by natively  on the Nex (although you can adapt quite a bit from A-mount).  I assume that there must be a 300mm lens for the N1.

Anyway, for APS-C, I usually find 300mm (450mm "equiv.") to be enough, sometimes augmented with a teleconverter.  At 600mm (900mm equivalent!), it becomes almost impossible to hand-hold.

All the best.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow