Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Murcielago75
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Novice Enthusiast Camera Feature Manifesto
7 months ago

I am a novice. I use a Sony NEX 3 camera and a Samsung Galaxy Note II smartphone to take all my photos & videos. Lately I have been in the market for a new interchangeable lens camera. But I have decided NOT to buy any new camera because they are all still lacking. I am not saying I want the perfect camera (which everyone in DPreview seems to agree isn't possible). I am saying that the minimum requisites aren't being met. I have therefore decided to make a list of thoughts that perhaps engineers at Sony, Panaosnic etc might pick up on. In the meanwhile, my smartphone will have to do.

a) Capacitive touchscreens. There is no way I can be happy with going from nicely swiping, pinching and zooming on a 5'' smartphone screen to a small 3 inch screen that isn't even sensitive to a tap in order to focus on a subject of my choice. It's just unsatisfactory. Disabling touch is always an option for those who don't like it. But in the year 2014 an LCD screen in a camera that pretends touchscreens haven't been invented yet is just ridiculous.

b) In body charging. Why should I always have to take the battery out of the camera to charge it? And remember to put it back in? Why can't I just toss the camera in my bag at the last minute without a charger and then charge it via USB overnight once I arrive at my destination? An external charger could help with faster charging or with multiple batteries. But internal charging should be always an option.

c) Micro-USB & 3,5 mm jack vs Proprietary nonsense . Micro-USB has become a de-facto universal standard. (Sure Apple still uses a proprietary USB for the iphone but that is one of the reasons why I chose a Samsung phone years ago and kept on buying into Samsung /Android). There is no reason why a photographer should have to worry about carrying a different proprietary USB cable for every camera in order to connect the camera to a PC or charge it. Micro-USB is the way to go. Everyone has Micro USB cables. I have them everywhere (at home, in car, work, in suitcase, etc). All other proprietary USB cables are simply a good reason for NOT buying a camera. The same goes for cameras which offer their own proprietary hotshoe for external mic instead of 3,5 mm Jack. No thanks!

d)Videography features. As cameras are increasingly used for movies as well as stills, I expect a camera to have a feature set for shooting movies on par with the one for taking stills. What use is a camera with a great 24 megapixel sensor that doesn't have a 3,5 mm jack input/output? Or doesn't record 60p/30p/24p AVCHD? Or doesn't have stabilized lens or body? Or full manual controls during movie mode? or live HDMI out?

e) NTSC PAL  Zones. Why can't cameras be made to travel (as humans do) from NTSC to PAL zones of the planet - just by the push of a button? After all, an interchangeable lens Camera system is exactly the kind of device you carry with you when you move to another country for a few years. The stupid 30 min limit could still be built into the EU version firmware but why not have the option of at least switching back and forth between PAL and NTSC?

f) Ease of use - compact modular system. ┬áThe previous thoughts could be summed up saying that cameras need to be easy to use in order for enthusiast to get enthusiastic and want to use them. That means squeezing a LOT of features into a compact body and lens package. That means allowing a consumer to add on to the system with external mic, external monitor, etc transforming it into a super videography rig. and yet strip it down into a small and pocketable device that handles like a smartphone. Are we there yet? No.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow