Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,029Gear list
Like?
Sparkles with 14-140 and 6 point Star Filter
4 months ago

This is an update to the previous post Capturing Snow "Sparkles" Panny 12-35 on a GX7.   I used my 14-140 instead, though.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53040315

I used Tullis's advice re playing with the LR sliders to move the little spikes and highly compressed highs around and Ever's advice re a star filter .  Haven't made much progress with brick3338's suggestion to play with brightness in PS adjustment layers.   (I enjoyed the tutorial but I don't yet have PS.)   THANK YOU!

I got a Tiffen 6 pt 2mm Star Filter and the Tiffin Dfx Plug-in for Lightroom.  Played with Dfx "Star filters" on some of my earlier shots.  Not impressed with the results. Maybe operator error.

This is the first major test of the actual filter in bright sunshine with good specular reflections.  All in one day.  Today is also bright so I might be able to get some more experimentation done.

Samples:

snow caterpillars walking up a branch??  Note altered bokeh of speculars (probably need to go full size).

Oops, sloppy crop.  Thanks Bob, for the advice re use of LR sliders.  Very delicate!

I do not know the degree of degradation of sharpness due to the filter.  More testing is in order, methinks.

Heavily cropped.  The filminess seems to be related to the filter.

I suspect that I'll have another couple of weeks to learn how to do this .... then SPRING!!!!!!   HURRAH!

I will continue to work on how to get those sparkles from the snow ... right after a fresh crystalline snowfall.   That is what got me going down this route in the first place!  Lots of forks in the road, eh?

Thanks for any advice/criticism.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow