Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Grafix Inredning
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 7 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

I will wait till Sony introduces the reputed 16-35mm, which - if as good as I hope - could be welded to my A7

Yep, mine will too, if it's any good. I shoot mostly shop interiors using a tripod and 24-25mm is where I shoot most pictures. I've been looking for a good 24-25mm alternative for the A7, but there's no alternative that stands out.

I have a Sony E 10-18 that is a great perfomer on a Nex, but I find it a little limited on a A7. Too much distortion, sure that can be fixed with a custom Lightroom profile, but it leads to resampling and cropping and the corners are/get a bit soft/smeared.

Prices for good legacy lenses are too high, a Leica R 24/2.8 costs over 400 euro, Contax 25mm the same, Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 around 300 euro (but seems to be more rare). The best price/performance seems to be canon Fd(n), 100-200 euro for the 24/2.8 but the excellent F2 version is hard to find and more expensive. Since I don't have to pay VAT, a NEW Zeiss Distagon ZF.2 25mm and Biogon ZM 25mm are "only" about 700 euro. I'd rather buy a new Zeiss for 700 euro with warranty than an old Contax/Leica of unknown quality.

One of the reason that I sold the DSLR and bought the A7 was size, that's why I'm considering the Zeiss ZM Biogon 25/2.8 instead of the larger Distagon 25mm. Also, the Distagon is not one of Zeiss's better lenses but the Biogon is considered one of the best and probably easier to sell when something better emerges. If anyone have tried the Zeiss ZM 25/2,8 on A7/A7r, please share your experiences (and pics)!

Since I shoot on a tripod and stopped down, corner smearing and tinting does not seem such a big problem, not from the samples I've found:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=54167241@N02&q=a7%20biogon%2025mm

https://flic.kr/p/iLKJku

Grafix Inredning's gear list:Grafix Inredning's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow