Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teddoman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340Gear list
Like?
New V1 owner: grips, technique
9 months ago

I took out the V1 + FT1 + 70-300 4.5-5.6 G VR for an inaugural visit to the zoo this weekend with the kids.

Biggest issue was shifting weight between lens and body. Normally the weight was on the lens and FT-1 adapter. But when I needed to change the zoom on the lens, I had to hold the weight of the entire setup by my right hand on the body. It was a bit awkward, I felt like I was gripping the body pretty hard to keep the weight off of the lens so I could adjust focal length.

I saw a thread with some positive reviews of the Fotodiox grip. I also saw there's an OEM Nikon grip, as well as a cheap Neewer grip on ebay.

I never realized I'd miss my DSLR hump grip until I shot with this setup. I don't like how cramped my hand felt trying to hold all that weight with nothing to grab onto.

Anyone have a sense for which grip gives you the best worry-free hold when you need to carry the full weight of the lens/body in your right hand? Are the grips all pretty much the same?

Other than grips, if anyone can point me to good threads on BIF tips and techniques, or general techniques for shooting at long focal lengths, with my V1 setup, it'd be much appreciated. I took a decent number of shots of non-flying animals and had a low keeper rate compared to what I'd normally get with unstabilized lenses at shorter focal lengths on the D7000. I shot with continuous AF, VR, wide open, high shutter speeds (1/1000 or so). I don't feel like many of my shots were sharp at 100%. Not sure if it was just pure inexperience and getting used to the V1, if the VR affects sharpness, or if critical sharpness is harder at long focal lengths.

The focus box is not very small, but I didn't see an option for a small focus box. So I guess the camera will focus on anything in the box it wants to.

I pretty much plan to keep this lens on the V1 permanently. It's going to be my super tele option that I carry in my bag. I'm excited that I'll have the option to photography wildlife here and there, but I do recognize that there's probably a learning curve here.

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +15 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow