Started Mar 17, 2014 | Photos thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 3,006Gear list
Snowflurries after overnight snowfall
Mar 17, 2014

Conventional studies using the 14-140 mm, during a very variable day:

This Staghorn Sumac didn't produce fruit but serves as a good hairy surface for snow to cling to.

Wiki: Staghorn Sumac is dioecious.

There is a (false) rumour going around that those inuksuik are placed by local aboriginals to reclaim their lands.

Inuksuik: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuksuk

Common roadside scene with elegant changes in texture.

Obligatory image of snowfall for B Tullis.

Sun came out again to illuminate this  lil White Pine

During the day I also used the 100-300, sometimes with tubes, to get up close and personal. The melting/sublimation of the snowflakes depended on sunlight, temperature, wind, time of day so there was lots of variation.

Extension tube. Cropped.  Alternating flurries and sunshine led to this little icicle with attached snowflake

Jackpine cone in shade, with no melting.  Snow was a few hours old.

Meltwater forming the start of icicles.

Some crystals were very sturdy.

All of the above were shot from the comfort of the cab of my truck.  Off-road snow is too deep to walk through.

C & C  solicited and welcome.

Yesterday, the day following the above, I used a 6 point star filter on the 14-140 to get some edge diffraction from the resulting ice formations.   I'll post a few shortly.

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow