Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lapland
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Best camera for videos + Lenses Qs
8 months ago

I have a lot to say and a lot to ask so I'll try to make it as short as I can...

First off, I'm starting to make YouTube videos and I want to do it as professionally as I can afford.

Needless to point out but I would love to have the 5D iii but for obvious reasons I can't afford it.

In addition, I'm also planning to start a PodCast where we intend to do both Audio on our website but also publish it in video via Youtube.

So for both of these reasons I need a decent DSLR for video.

Now...

Here's where things get a bit more complicated.

My brother and I are starting a small business of making short videos for small businesses (for PR reasons).

My brother has the 5D ii and if we could afford it we would compliment it with either another 5D ii or a 5D iii.

We want to "shooting" style to overlap and not to have two different cameras that will look differently in the end result.

Now, yes, I understand you can spend time and fix the video with Premiere until it looks the same but it seems unnecessary when (or if) you can purchase a camera that will cut off much of this tedious work.

For obvious reasons that shifts the choices more to Canon than Nikon.

I say this with a minor case of "ooohhh" because truth be told I prefer Nikon, well, in general.

On top of that my wife has an old Canon EOS 20D with two lenses:

1) http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Standard_Zoom/EF_35-80mm_f4-5.6_III/

2) http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-18-200mm-f-3-5-6-3-ii-dc-os-hsm-review-19206

I haven't done any photography in a long long time and way back then I did it with films not digital so I know little about the digital world for now.

SO...

Here are my questions:

1. If I buy a Canon from the EOS family (be that full frame or not) will I be able to use the lenses from my wife's old camera or are they just cluttered waste that deserves to be sold on Ebay for a buck?

2. Seeing that my primary concern is YouTube videos I narrowed it down to these options:

* Canon 5D iii (which I can't afford)

* Canon 70D, which is not full frame but from what I saw seems rather perfect for what I'm looking for but still a bit pricy

* Canon T5i or Nikon D5200 (out of which the Nikon seems to have far superior dynamic range and far less moire) both are quite affordable.

Now, assuming I can use my wife's old lenses it obviously means that Canon will be the choice either way.

As per money goes, if I'll be able to afford it I assume people here will advice towards the 70D (right?) but if I can't then it's basically the T5i vs D5200.

I'll obviously appreciate other suggestions !

Any help, advice or explanation will be appreciated.

Thanks

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i) Canon EOS 70D Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow