Nikon VS Canon? SLR or Point and Shoot?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?
Kit lens info
In reply to Bhima78, 5 months ago

Bhima78 wrote:

Also, are you using the kit lens to take photos? Canon is notorious for having absolutely crap kit lenses. I know this from experience with 2 different Rebel DSLRs and the 20D. Every kit lens was VERY soft. If you have the budget, I'd look for a used Sigma 17-50 2.8f OS USM lens to replace your kit lens. You can snag one on KEH camera or ebay for $300-350. It has lens stabilization which helps, but it is also a decently sharp lens to boot, especially compared to the FUD Canon gives you in a kit.

AFAIK, the T5i is sold in kit with either 18-55 STM or 18-135 STM which are relatively new in Canon's lens lineup. There is no tests to substantiate that they are bad, and anyone claiming that Canon is "notoriuos for having absolutely crap kit lenses" has not been reading lens reviews or owned a newer Canon kit lens for the last three years.

The first, non-IS 18-55 kit lens was not stellar, but the lenses sold with the T5i are really OK, even more than that if you consider price. Teresa is not pixel peeping, and you are not helping her by introducing this outdated misinformation.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow