Canon sx700 vs sx280 - extra zoom worth upgrading?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
intangible
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon sx700 vs sx280 - extra zoom worth upgrading?
4 months ago

Hi, my first post here, though heavy reader. I see the Canon PowerShot sx280 HS is available for $188.

So is it worth spending $349 to get the newer, so-called successor sx700?

My thoughts after much research:

GPS

For me, GPS (on the outgoing sx280, and missing on the newer sx700) would be nice to have, though not a deal breaker.

Zoom

The biggest attraction for the upgrade for me is the extra zoom - 30x (on the new sx700) instead of 20x (sx280). Is the extra zoom really worth it or even usable? I can only judge based on some Japanese sample videos of the sx700 on YouTube.

Image quality

Difficult for me to judge this one. Anybody? I like straight out of the camera, punchy photos. Don't shoot me!

Low light performance

This is important to me because I hate using a flash on a small camera like this.

Battery life

The sx700 is stated as 40 shots longer in battery life. Is the sx280 with newer firmware update still a risky purchase for battery life?

I'm not too fussed about the lack of HDR, panorama and EVF that the Panasonic TZ60 has (for the increase in price).

Any thoughts appreciated!  The $188 price is tempting for something I can take on holidays with me without worrying too much about it being stolen. I'll eventually get a DLR too.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS PowerShot SX700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow