Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?
Re: I like your perspective: "... a lot of fun for around $70."
In reply to Mel Snyder, 9 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

I ordered one of these from ebay. If the 35mm 2.0 ssc is any indication then I expect this lens to be stellar

The SSC 24/2.8 should do you very well, it was pin sharp on my NEX-7, and the corners looked good on my A7r

Well I'm very impressed by both samples from the Canon FD's on this thread. I am guessing they don't do so well at wider apertures, but it wouldn't much matter to me as I am almost always using wide angles at around f/8~f/11. From the two samples posted, they seem near-perfect stopped down, even on an A7r ... a lot of fun for around $70.

Pin sharp on a NEX-7 is also promising, as the lens should comfortably double up as a 35mm (equiv) lens in APS-C crop mode on an A7r. Quite useful.

Hmmm... I may also have to get me one, I can sense a price rise coming.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

There is too much emphasis here on expensive lenses for the A7/r.

Maybe, but to extract the last ounce of IQ corner to corner from the camera you do need the best lenses.

Yes, it's nice to have the best,

It really is, it gives me goosebumps when I nail a shot with a super high quality lens.

but there are plenty of inexpensive old lenses that work really well.

Indeed there are, some macro lenses are wonderful on the A7r...

I discovered a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-f4 that now sells for under $70 is GREAT, and I recently bought a mint Canon FD 100-300mm f5.6 for $49 that also is wonderful.

Using old lenses on an A7/r is very, very satisfying!

Yes it is!

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow