The one thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Good hoods?
In reply to Barry Stewart, 9 months ago

Barry Stewart wrote:

Without a good hood, the front element is going to get all wet and potentially ruin the shot — even if the rain doesn't get inside.

People scoff at the beer-stein-sized hood on the 50-200SWD… but there's never a rain drop that gets on THAT lens element.

-- hide signature --

Barry

I agree a hood is helpful, but if it's not windy, keep it pointed down when not shooting and you're usually ok. This has worked with the 12-50 so far. With my 40-150, I put a plastic bag over the barrel + the hood and it does ok. But to me the big thing about weathersealing is unexpected water, such as big wave, or a gust in heavy rain. Having lost an OM-2 and a bag full of lenses in a matter of seconds years ago, I know how fast a wave can catch you off-guard. I suspect the body and mounted lens would have survived if it were an E-M5 and 12-50 today, but I don't know about the unmounted lenses.

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow