Australia travel tips

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Sleeman
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Australia travel tips
In reply to skygon, 9 months ago

You may not need long focal lengths too often.

Zoos of course give great views of the animals but there is a fair chance of seeing some in the wild while you are out and about.

I haven't been to the penguin parade at Philip Island for a few years but in those days they walked right past your feet. The problem was light so take a fast lens if you are allowed photographs.

I saw Koalas in the trees beside the road at the Otways lighthouse on the Great Ocean Road when I was there this time last year. Mind you I had never seen them in the wild before that. 50mm on a crop was fine for them.

Kangaroos are hit and miss. They wander about, usually in groups. When they are around they might come very close. I sometimes do a two or three day loop by driving from Melbourne down the Great Ocean Road, then North through the Grampians and East back to Melbourne. Whenever I have stayed in Halls Gap (in the Grampians) Kangaroos flocked to my cabin doors during the night and then moped about on the lawn in the morning. They will come almost right up to you.

Chris Sleeman's gear list:Chris Sleeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow