Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?
FZ200 Vs other stuff - test results.
9 months ago

I've spent several hours making test shots of my resolution chart with all my cameras.  FZ200, G15, S95, SX230HS, and 60D with the 18-135 lens, and the 60 mm macro lens.  In all cases the lighting was the same and the camera was on a tripod.

Among the compact "fixed lens cameras", the G15 was the winner, with the FZ200 equal at ISO 100 & 200; but falling slightly behind at ISO 400 and above.  Next was the S95, which was pretty consistent all the way to ISO 1600; but with falling contrast ovrer the range, and finally the SX230HS.  I did several reshoots with different settings and found the iContrast on the SX230HS was responsible for a significant loss of resolution.  I didn't see any difference between Image Stabilization ON or OFF.

The surprise was that my 60D with the 18-135 lens wasn't significantly better than the FZ200, although it was noticeably better with the 60 mm macro lens.  The big thing with the 60D is that it doesn't change much as the ISO increases; while the FLC's (fixed lens cameras) gradually get noticeably poorer as ISO increases in a steady progression.  I also note that the 60 mm f/2.8 macro lens had significantly higher contrast.

I'm a good bit disappointed with the 60D, so that will be investigated further.  A Sony SLT-A57 did considerably better, although the camera had other problems and is long gone.  I'm not sure the 18 MP 60D was any better than my ancient 8 MP 30D.

In any case, the G15 and FZ200 do very well and pair really well together.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon EOS 60D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow