DP2M compared to DP2 - decision time

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
khunpapa
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2M compared to DP2 - decision time
In reply to Goldfinger234, 6 months ago

Goldfinger234 wrote:

I'm not speaking from experience here as I don't own a very high res. monitor, but not so long back I was reading a particularly eloquent question from an American lawyer, who was talking about future proofing images and therefore his reason for using a D800, even though he's no more than a keen amateur photographer. The gist was that when high res. monitors become the norm, and it won't be too long, the difference in resolution between something like the DP2 and DP2M will become very apparent on screen, never mind when printed to a decent size. I'd never really given it much thought, even though I now own a 2M and used to own the 2, but it does make sense. If you end up with a 30" high res monitor, or something close, you'd expect to see the difference clearly.

You already own ultra high res monitor.

About 10 years ago, the 19" 1024x768 LCD monitor is the luxery. The 2.7 MP D1 that gives you "High Quality, clean, detailed images" was king althought "JPEG/TIFF artifacts thanks to poor in-camera sharpening algorithm (must use Low sharpening to get the most out of JPEG/TIFF).
Pattern noise at higher ISO's more difficult to remove than random noise"
If people of that time had thought "oh, why bother with 2.7MP raw. I have only 640x480 monitor, not that very high res 15" SVGA one. Hard disk price is too much expensive too. My precious memory at 1024*768 is already overkilled.". Think of them when they see their past memories in nowaday 42" "plain vanilla LCD monitor".

For me, photo is not just a snap or another piece of artworks. But it's ---

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow