Seeking shooting tips for the theater environment

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rich Gibson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
Re: Seeking shooting tips for the theater environment
In reply to uhligfd, 6 months ago

uhligfd wrote:

As many have pointed out, the auto everything camera is not so automatically good as you have assumed. But all is digital, so you can review a shot taken and see that multi metering for mostly black backgrounds blows out faces and become smart and adjust to lower ISO. You can see that focus was not achieved in AF and you must then realize that the stage is kind of narrow and actors are mostly in 2 - 3 spots anyway, so you can prefocus manually and then shoot, but you missed that opportunity to learn on the fly. You took an f/7 lens to dark scenes: disaster struck. You need a 2.8 at least for stage work. So get out that old f/2 lens and sit up close.

And so forth and on. But to throw out a camera upon operator errors by the half dozen, that seems a bit excessive. You will have the same bad outcomes with another new car or camera if you do not learn and master the road condition or subject matter, I am afraid.

I am also a veteran photog and I learn every day I am out. Good luck and patience.

I am a veteran member but only a hobby shooter and I am unfamiliar with this type shooting. Contrary to some assumptions this stage was very wide and I was fairly close so a fixed focus wasn't an option and auto focus was successfully achieved with the NEX-6. A play which is underway really doesn't afford the opportunity to chimp and 'learn on the fly' between shots as I did when shooting travel sites. When the action starts you have to keep up and do whatever you can to capture as much as possible.

Of course I know I was making mistakes, but as I've mentioned several times already f/2.8 lenses are OUT so a body with a better sensor is a viable option. I'm asking for some tips to squeeze as much as possible from this type body.

I appreciate your answering my post.

Rich

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow