Australia travel tips

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
vajrasattva
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
Re: Australia travel tips
In reply to skygon, 6 months ago

From my experience I have used the SEL1018 and the Sigma 30mm the most in Melbourne and Sydney. The wide angle is surprisingly useful as there is some really interesting architecture (old and modern). And the 30mm is just versatile. In terms taking shots of people - no different to anywhere else, common courtesy applies. Be prepared to stop and eat as everywhere is an eating opportunity! And coffee - you can by it absolutely everywhere.

Places I think are really worth visiting in Melbourne are:

• DeGraves street - food and laneway shots,
  • Hosiery Lane - graffiti art++
  • Block arcade - spectacular old shopping arcade with brilliant tesilated tile floors and its adjacent lane ways
  • Royal arcade - a lesser version of the Block. Stop at Koko black for a hot chocolate
  • The State Library on Swanston Street
  • St Francis's Church and its adorable chapel (my favourite anywhere) on the corner of Elizabeth and LaTrobe Street incidentally just opposite Melbourne's biggest camera shop Michaels. They have continual exhibitions upstairs.
  • Federation Square any time of the day (or night esp on the weekends)
  • Brunswick Street, Acland Street and Chapel Street. These aren't the only ones.
  • Hire a bike and ride along the Yarra River to Docklands.
  • The old nunnery at Abbotsford (tram)
  • The food sections of Victoria Market.
  • Southbank on the Yarra at dusk for city shots

Sydney is a bit more difficult get around as unlike Melbourne everything is not so close. Public transport is not as good and there are no rental city bikes. Places I would consider visiting include:

• walking around the rocks (not just the main tourist strip) and getting quite lost
  • Cockatoo Island on the harbour. Take a sun hat! This is a really interesting place with quite a diverse history. You also get a ferry ride under the harbour bridge.
  • Walk along the coastal walk from Bondi, Bronte and Codgee beaches (which are the less internationally known beaches but the local favourites)
  • Slow ferry to Manly and then the coastal headlands walk
  • catch a train to Brooklyn and then take the postal ferry along the Hawkesbury River if you have the time

Enjoy your trip! One word of advice, is take your time and not try to cram too much into a short space. Places like Phillip Island and the Great Ocean Road really need time rather than a 'day trip' by bus. They are very very long days if you do it that way. Hiring a car is much better and driving is very easy.

Once again, enjoy. Expect to see some the spoils of your trip.

Jane

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow