Compact vs EOS M

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact vs EOS M
In reply to MinAZ, 5 months ago

For the most part I agree with your points - you really won't get everything.

Some of the mirrorless cameras do come close; a Nex 3N or used 5N, or an Olympus E-PM1 or PM2 might be the OP's best choices in the $300 price range he's interested in; their size is not very much bigger than the XZ-2 he mentioned (mostly the bigger lens).  I haven't personally used any of these cameras so I can't speak for their autofocus speed; but the newer Olympus mirrorless are supposed to quite fast - a bit of research by the OP would sort that out.

My "daily driver" right now is a Panasonic G5; it's entirely adequate for casual use and it's small and light enough for me to carry just about everywhere. I also have a Panasonic ZS15 as a pocket camera, I take it along if I'm going to take video and if I'm going somewhere dSLRs aren't welcome. However, the Canon T3i is still clearly superior for kid sports, high-ISO and overall versatility - and so if I had to pick just one, a dSLR would still be "it".

Colin

-- hide signature --

Quaecumque vera doce me quot homines tot sententiae autem.

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow