Sony 18-105G, anyone?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?
Sony 18-105G and "Fast Hybrid AF"
In reply to Gato Amarillo, 7 months ago

Gato Amarillo wrote:

I really like my 18-105, though as an alternative to the 16-50 it's pretty huge. It's a very versatile lens for my planned portrait sessions, but not something I'd carry around just on the chance I might see something interesting.

It does not handle fine detail as well or have as nice an overall picture feel as the 16-70 but the range works much better for what I do. So it is the lens I most often use in portrait sessions. For those days I'm throwing a camera in the car "just in case" I usually go with something smaller.

I came across this Sony link recently and found it strange that the SELP18105G is listed as compatible with the "Fast Hybrid AF" of the ILCE-7 model but not the "Fast Hybrid AF" of the APS-C NEX-5T, NEX-5R, and NEX-6 models.

This distinction may not be noticeable on a NEX-6, but I wonder about the new A6000 with its supposedly much improved AF.  It would be a shame if the A6000 (isn't mentioned in the link) does not follow the ILCE-7 and can't utilize its "Fast Hybrid AF" on all the lenses in both groups.

• John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow