Bought an RX10 at Sony Store closeout for $649!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,602Gear list
Like?
Bought an RX10 at Sony Store closeout for $649!
6 months ago

I knew my local Sony Store was closing, and had been haunting the store every week or so to see if they were starting closeout sales.  I happened by today and sure enough they were blowing out everything in boxes in the store for 50% off.  They specifically noted that cameras and lenses under all the counters did not count for the sale - they did not have boxes of lenses and cameras on the floor...so mostly I was expecting to pick up LCD protectors, extra batteries, memory cards, cases, etc.  And indeed, I picked up a bunch of that type of stuff - an LCD semi-hard lens protector, SDHC UHS 16GB memory card, FM50 battery, ECF-1 Fisheye adapter for NEX 16mm lens, RMD-DSLR2 remote commander - all 50% off.

But I kept bugging the guy if he had any cameras or lenses in boxes that might have been left in the store - under a counter, even by accident.  He kept saying no, sorry - but then another sales person nearby overheard and mentioned 'what about that RX10 under the camera counter?'.  Oh yeah, says he - not sure if that would apply in the sale - they weren't supposed to include cameras or lenses that were on display and all boxed lenses and cameras were distributed out to other stores - but technically, it WAS an item in a box, not on display...so technically, it would qualify for the 50% off.

Oh boy, says I - I really don't have any need for another camera - I've got 4 perfectly working ones already...two DSLRs and two NEX e-mounts.  Even a TX1 in a box that doesn't get used anymore.  But a $1,300 camera for 50% off, brand-new in the box?  How on earth do I pass that up?

Turns out I couldn't.  So I now own an RX10!  Solid little beast.  Nice feel in the hand.  I need to invent some excuses to use it - which I really want to - seems like it will be fun.  I may give it some second duty shooting, may lend it to family.  That 200mm F2.8 lens could be lots of fun.

I'm charging it up now, and reading the manual, getting to know the camera a little better.

Just thought I'd mention it - if you have  Sony store near you closing, go there, TODAY!  See if they have any secrets behind the counter or around the back!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow