Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,716Gear list
Like?
Why Nikon 1 V3 over a m4/3rd option? Those with solid reasons - please reply
4 months ago

I was seriously considering the Nikon 1 V3 in spite of the pricing. Because it has an electronic shutter it seems like something I have wanted for a while- a small fast compact system for street life with reasonable IQ.

So as I do more research I noticed that the main primes- F2.8, F1.8 and F1.2 are not really smaller than the Olympus prime lens counter parts.

Because of that, I fail to see then the size advantage except for the long range zooms. Seems like the Nikon 1 is strong for sports and birding, but for the rest, it's not what I thought it would be- it needs the size advantage.

Someone may point out the F1.2 is an F1.2 unlike Olympus 45mm F1.8- but the DOF is virtually equivalent as the Olympus/Panasonic bodies have a bigger sensor, and so being the ISO, you can afford to lose that stop of light.

So I see a system that is about the same size and I scratch my head. And it's a bummer because it was looking very good.

Anyone with both systems or experience in both, with good solid reasons for the Nikon 1 other than sports or birding where I see a win, can you please step forward and say what you see in the system over a m4/3rds option?

Thanks.

NOTE: This is not a trolling post. It's a legitimate question looking for a legitimate discussion. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow