Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rich Gibson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,323
Like?
Seeking shooting tips for the theater environment
4 months ago

I've owned Nikon DSLR gear from the D100 through the D3 & D700 then switched to the Nex-5n, 7 and now the 6.  I still own the 6 & 7.  Up till now I've shot a lot of outdoor kid stuff and a ton of travel photography.  Travel and posed group shooting is leisurely and one-off work and I've enjoyed it immensely and learned how to use my gear.  I have been fairly successful and am pleased with my work.  Now my grandkids are teen agers and are involved in concerts and theatrical work and this is proving to be a real challenge.

Yesterday I shot a musical which had minimal sets with lots of black curtains.  I started with the Nex-7 and the 55-210 Aperture mode, ISO 6400, Multi-metering mode and auto focus wide open (f/7.0).  It was an unmitigated disaster.  Focusing was so slow I missed shot after shot and those which were in focus had blown out highlights.  In desperation I popped the 55-210 on the 6 used A mode, auto ISO , wide open, and things went much better.  Turning down the EV I was able to pull back the blow out.

Yes, I've read the friendly manual, a couple of times. First of all, the 7 is going on the block; I've ordered the A6000 based on the focus of the NEX-6 alone.  Would any of you care to throw me a few tips for shooting successfully in a theatrical environment?

Thanks, Rich

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow