ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,347Gear list
Like?
Well, I took a huge chance....with the E-520 and old 14-45
9 months ago

Hey y'all...

This past Friday evening I was asked to cover an event for a local Senatorial Candidate. He had as guests, the nationally known "Duggar" family - that is a family with 19 children. They developed their fame through a number of national US touring engagements and also through their TLC Television series "Growing up Duggar..." (or something like that). For those of you who know them, they can warm your heart in an instant. FYI - their website is at:

http://duggarfamily.com/

Anyway, one of my friends who is part of that senatorial campaign, is a big Canon buff and of course we get into debates about color rendering, etc. He was also asked to take photos and then in the end, the Senate Candidate and his wife would select those that best fit what they had in mind. So I bet my friend that I could show up with any Olympus camera (old or new) and wind up capturing more pleasing images than he could with his Canon gear.  He used a new Canon 70D (can't remember what lens).

Well, when I got home, I just pointed to a camera bag at random and whoa and behold, it held the E-520 with the older 14-45 lens. But in keeping with the spirit of the event, I stuck with my betting decision - although I was nervous. After all, this is an older camera - not much dynamic range, and considering the outdoor back-lighting in the early evening hours, I was nervous to say the least.

After the event, I was tasked with taking a series of indoor group photos in the reception room. For this, I used the Oly FL-50 flash in bounce mode with Gary Fong's wonderful Lightsphere dome, which I religiously use for very balanced and natural lighting.

The end result - Olympus wins! All of my images were used - but my friend got a friendly nod of thanks for his efforts. All agreed that the Olympus colors are just so much richer. My friend (and folks on the campaign) were surprised to learn that the images came from a 6 - 7 year old camera (and at 10 MP). But most impressive, IMO, is that although some copies of the old 14-45 can be very disappointing, the one on this E-520 didn't do a bad job at all.

Images are in the next posting (please wait for me to post them before you post or PM me asking me where they are. After all, takes a few minutes to post them all).

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +30 more
Canon EOS 70D Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow