Black photo! No image recorded during shooting.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ozonation
Regular MemberPosts: 493
Like?
Black photo! No image recorded during shooting.
4 months ago

Murphy's law never fails. I'm in the middle of shooting a national sports events, and I'm getting "black images" (no image). I'm using a D3s; it has about 127,000 shutter activations. It's as if the shutter is jamming during a burst of continuous photos. I will randomly get a series (2 to 7) of black images scattered throughout the 700 or so I will take. On a couple of the black photos, you can just barely make out some details, as if a bit of light was getting through.

At the event, other photographers suggested I change memory cards just in case. I used a different CF card - still had the same problem.

Now, I'm using an older Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 (2nd gen VR) and it's way past a calibration. I was planning to take in for servicing after this event. I'm wondering if the lens could be causing the black image problem. When I look at the EXIF info for an image, it gives me AF-C, focal length, shutter speed, aperture. When I look at the EXIF info for a black image, it gives me "manual" focus, no focal length, no aperture - it only gives me shutter.

So, it's either the lens or the D3s body. I have another body (D800) that I'm using to try test the lens, but it's crunch time, and the black out images appear randomly. Any insights from anybody to help me trouble shoot?

Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow