Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
torppapa
Regular MemberPosts: 288Gear list
Like?
Sold my 5DMkII and ordered the 6D, was it the right decision? What do you mean?
4 months ago

I've just sold my 5D Mk II getting a little bit old and I decided to "upgrade" to the 6D.

I'm not a pro photographer so I wasn't really interested in the 5D Mk III.

I was generally very satisfied with the 5D2 image quality (till ISO 3200) however I had also some issues with it.

Erratic (center point) autofocus in bad (artificial) light with big aperture lenses (f1.4-f2.0) - will the 6d do better?

I was not completely satisfied with ISO 6400 and above - I'm not sure, if the 6D will be a big leap forward. What do you mean?

Lifting shadows resulted in blotchy (purple and green) areas (see pic below) - Can I lift the shadows of the 6D better than those of the 5D?

The 5D2 was too big for me to haul around the whole day. Canon advertises the 6D as a travel camera, I hope it will fit better for that purpose.

At the moment I'm still unsure if I should keep the 6D, since I'm really happy with my D7100 except high ISO.

Here is an example of lifted shadows (the pics are a crop from the shadow area, now the whole image): 5D2 on left and D7100 on the right: for better experience click full size view.

I think the D7100 shadows do better when are lifted.

Both images where developed with LR. (I hope the 6D will do better than the 5D2)

torppapa's gear list:torppapa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 +24 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow