My "solution" to the "what wide angle for the A7/r"...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,036Gear list
Like?
My "solution" to the "what wide angle for the A7/r"...
8 months ago

...was for now, definitively answered by a lens I've kept for many years since I went to a zoom for my Nikon: a 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro. It has a wonderful manual-AF clutch switch, is built like a tank, and takes a VERY thin 77mm B+W polarizing filter. I have to modify a standard wide angle lens shade since all I've tried have petals too long. My first attempt will be to heat the plastic with a hair dryer and a bottle as a form - otherwise, judicious use of a hacksaw to one of my too-narrow hoods.

Old Schwamb Mill,Arlington, MA, is the oldest continuously operating mill site in the United States. There has been a mill operating at this site since c.1650. It is still today a woodworking mill making amazing oval frames with amazing technology from the 1800s, though its machinery is now all run by an electric motor that replaced the water wheel. This is "the glue room" where the sawed blanks for the frames would be glued with hide glue and clamped before turning on the lathes below. (forgot to fix the chroma in LR on this frame, I see - it's really easy with the dropper and corrects easily - just forgot)

Should not have picked the metal ruler in mid-frame for my focus point when standing next to the frame lathe at left, but shows how much DOF the Tokina has at f5.6

Tools placed on the black tool rest at left in the photo above by workers shaping the frames.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow