How many shutter actuations should I expect? (incl. web tool to check yours)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: Expect around 100K, but you may get much more...
In reply to Digital Nigel, 5 months ago

Digital Nigel wrote:

robert1955 wrote:

I think it is counting them individually. The number the site shows is about 20% higher than I'd expect from the file number. I've always kept numbering at continuous and the cards have only been used in this camera.

OK, I now have the answers to the question:

1. A single shot with EFC counts as one shutter actuation.

2. A single shot without EFC counts as two shutter actuations.

3. Multi-shot modes count as multiple shutter actuations. For example, panoramas without EFC generate over 60 shutter actuations!

Wow.  Yeah, I guess that makes sense, and I guess I should have realized as much, since my actuation count is over twice as high as my "exposures made" count (the NEX-5 has no EFCS).  I don't know how to explain the fact that my actuations are ~8% higher than double -- maybe the shutter doesn't fire twice on every frame of a handheld twilight mode burst?

Wish I'd known this before... I was torn between a lightly-used NEX-5 and a new 5N when I bought my camera, and might well have chosen the latter if I'd realized I'd be burning through its shutter lifespan twice as fast as I would have with the 5N.

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow