[NEX 5R] Observations of the FDA-EV1S viewfinder, and some SEL1650PZ shots.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CM L
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
[NEX 5R] Observations of the FDA-EV1S viewfinder, and some SEL1650PZ shots.
8 months ago

I took a stroll through the city today and I brought the camera with me, mainly to test the EVF which I acquired a couple of months ago. I've so far only been able to use it either on overcast days or indoors, and on both occasions it truly excells.

Imagine my suprise today when it was close to useless (no, this is not trolling, read on)! We had a truly sunny day today, which felt great, spring in the air. It was so light as to almost render it hard to see for eyes accustomed to winter darkness. Great I thought, I will test the EVF so I know how it will perform when I want to go birding.

Here's my observations:

• When shooting with the sun right behind you, it works great
  • As soon as you have the sun at the slightest angle, and are not blocking it with your head, the EVF becomes very dark, almost impossible to see.
  • I found myself using the LCD more often, as on sunny weather setting, it was much easier to see than the EVF
  • Indoors or in low light, the EVF is truly great.
  • I dont mind the refresh rate, I think its quite good (I mention this as there's a debate which of the old EVF or the new on the A6000 is better), and I love to see all the settings and have a live view in the EVF

So here's a question:

Am I doing something wrong? I am pretty sure the EVF is dark because the light gets into the eye cup, but I am already pressing my eye almost through the viewfinder so not much I can do there.

How do you guys deal with this? I know Danny uses his NEX 7 for birding, and NZ is known to be quite bright ;). Also know that plenty of other people use their NEX 6's and NEX 5n/r/t's with the extra viewfinder to great success. I would be thankful for some hints as to what to do here =)!

This turned into a rather longwinded post, but anyway, here's a few snapshots from today!

I was trying to be clever here, but try as I might I couldnt get the whole crane fitted inside the hole, and at the same time frame the entire metal mooring ring.

Quick B/W conversion. I think the SEL1650 shows plenty of detail, dont you?

CM L's gear list:CM L's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS +4 more
NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow