Veteran MemberPosts: 4,455Gear list
Like?
Re: DoF preview with Panasonic
In reply to 0MitchAG, 5 months ago

0MitchAG wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

0MitchAG wrote:

On the Panasonic bodies it is incredibly frustrating trying to compose with the macro lens at close distances because the Live View depth of field is fixed at F2.8, meaning razor thin DoF at the required working distance.

I can't speak for other Panasonic bodies, but my GH3 has a "constant preview" setting (page 4 on the Custom Settings menu). If you turn it "on" then the camera shoots a continuous stream of images at the selected shutter speed and aperture for display on the LCD or EVF. This allows you to preview depth of field and the effects of motion blur at the selected exposure settings.

It's difficult to use in low light conditions because when you get into the range of slow shutter speeds it means the LCD refreshes slowly (at a shutter speed of 1/5 of a second it's impossible to show more than 5 updates per second on the LCD, obviously). But this isn't an issue in bright light.

Constant Preview is available on all GH-series, the GX7 and, surprisingly, the GM1. It's a feature that ALL Panasonics should have!

BTW, Constant Preview is available only in M mode. That's reason enough for me to shoot in M mode 99% of the time!

Yes! And of all things, manual mode.... you would think it would be enabled in Aperture priority mode. Is Panasonic hiring monkeys for programmers?? http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50053787

M mode is no more difficult to use than A mode.

If you're using one of the newer camera bodies with dual control wheels, with one set to adjust aperture, it's easier. With manual lenses and their real aperture rings, it's even simpler.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow