ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alkan
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?
I'd like to talk about experiences with Focus Peaking on the X Pro 1
5 months ago

Hello!,

I've used the 14, 18 and 35mm lenses on and off on my X Pro 1 for some time now, I'd been aching to get an affordable and fast portrait lens for quite some time - and after reading lots of positive reviews - I went for the manual focus Rokinon / Samyang 85mm f/1.4

I bought this manual lens knowing full well that I intended to use the EVF focus peaking to help me take shots, I've done plenty of manual focus in the past - and I'd played with the peaking on and off (nothing too serious) and felt pretty confident that I'd be able to handle this combination.

After 2 days with this lens, I've found that the reality is - most portraits or close up shots between f/1.4 and f/2.8 are consistently out of focus, despite the fact that I was left with absolutely no doubt (time and time again) that the peaking effect in the viewfinder was telling me that the object or surface I was photographing was in focus.

Often I'm only out by a matter of millimeters in terms of twisting the focus ring, but as anyone who uses fast telephoto's knows - that's pretty much game over.

This led me to do a bit of reading about focus peaking (I should have done this research earlier naturally and the general consensus seems to be that while it's certainly a helpful aid, it's by no means 100% accurate, and this is mainly down to the fact that peaking essentially highlights areas of contrast on an LCD screen (which in itself is limited to a set resolution) - the actual lens has far more granularity in its ability to focus and as such - manually magnifying your view is the only realistic way of making sure a shot is sharp.

While I understand this is probably a limitation of peaking / viewfinder technology, I was wondering if cameras like the x100s or XT-1 (with their on-chip phase detection) handled focus peaking differently? If these cameras are able to use phase detection technology to acquire AF is the same technology also used as a foundation for rendering focus peaking highlights?

-- hide signature --

www.alkchan.com

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow