Why all the negativity over the G1X mk2?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
Why all the negativity over the G1X mk2?
5 months ago

Firstly let me clarify that I won't be buying it, not because I don't think it will be a great camera but only because I'm very happy with the mk1 and the newer version won't mount my UWA converter. The mk1 ticks most of the boxes for me so I don't need to upgrade it.
That being said I think the mk2 will also be a heck of a camera, yes there are some compromises but there are also a lot of bonuses. The fast lens, greater range and ability to fit an evf are all wins from what I can see. Canon have responded to some of the criticisms of the mk1 and come out with a compelling offering and every camera involves some compromises IME.

I've seen some criticisms of some of the samples posted elsewhere but I certainly wouldn't worry about that. In my experience many early samples from any camera should be taken with a pinch of salt. They're usually taken in ideal conditions (tripod/studio etc) so they show the camera in the best light or sometimes they are bad examples from inexperienced but well intentioned amateurs who haven't got to grips with what the camera can and can't do. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this camera won't be anything but excellent in the right hands.

I'm no Canonphile, I've used and still use several different brands but I know a decent camera when I see one and I'm sure a lot of people will be very happy with this one. 
So be glad Canon have produced something a bit different and we'll have another great choice of camera to add to all the others great choices we have, that is all

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow