Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,829Gear list
Like?
Re: BIF shooters, please help
In reply to dzba, 9 months ago

dzba wrote:

Good day, mate,

my youngest brother moved to Australia 8 years ago and visited us this past summer with his family. One of his favorites is "no worries". I enjoy both of these.

Bonza, goodonya.

Most non-Australians make the mistake of pronouncing g'day as if it were two word, like "g day". The "g" (as in good) is just a hint with no space after, almost not audible.

WilbaW wrote:

Then set ISO so that the meter shows around +1 and 2/3 to +2 when pointed at the sky in the direction you'll be shooting. That will give you consistent image brightness, whatever the colour of the bird or background, and will protect your highlights, which are easy to blow with white subjects.

I can do this in Av mode, right, or is this in full Manual mode only ?

Av will vary the shutter depending on the darkness of the bird and the background, which you don't want. Full manual locks everything relative to the level of light, which should give good consistent data in the raw file.

It would be too easy if I ;-)could guess which direction (and consequently where, and how bright the light will be) the birds will appear from. Sometimes you can see them coming from a long ways off, but usually the St. Vrain Photographic Society aka Longmont Colorado Camera Clubclosest opportunities are from birds that suddenly appear from behind trees or from the rear. I try to keep my head on a swivel to reduce the surprises, yet some do sneak up on me.

Yeah, best if you can keep the sun on your back. If they are coming from all directions you might be better off using Tv with auto ISO. That means you can set the shutter to 1/nnnn, aperture will max out because the shutter is short (which is fine with L lenses, maybe not so good with your non-L), and you can use the exposure compensation function to ETTR via the ISO.

It can help a lot to first AF on something at a similar distance to where you think you will start tracking the bird. Then you can see the bird clearly and the AF has an easy job to lock on when you trigger it again.

Yes, after my 1st outing with this lens I learned this lesson. Simple and effective, most of the time, until I encounter a sneaky one. I get most upset when this happens as they appear the closest and suddenly. It will take more practice for me to get a handle on this.

You also get better at raising the camera to your eye so that the subject is in the finder.

Expect to shoot hundreds of frames for each keeper.

Yes, I'm learning and doing just that. Another thing I've learned is that I have to wear a hat while attempting this. It keeps me from pulling out what hair I have left on my head.

LOL, yeah, I keep mine short (as you can see in the current mini-challenge).

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and offer your tips, Mike

No worries. Stick with it, good luck.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow