Like?
Re: Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
In reply to stevo23, 4 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

How fast of a lens are you looking for, and at what aperture do you expect vignetting to be gone?

The Canon FDn 24 f/2.8 performs surprisingly well. Vignetting is pretty much gone at f/5.6, corners are pretty good too. By f/8 and f/11 it's pretty much sharp all the way into the deep corners. CA has to be dealt with, but I consider it an amazing bargain given its price/performance ratio. I'm using the CIECIO7 FD to E adapter.

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

What options are there for the A7R in the 24mm range that isnt affected by vignetting?

I'm thinking about getting the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 with the novoflex adapter but I'm curious what options there are with other adapters along with this 1 (M mount) if there are any.

I use the Canon FDn 24mm f2. Excellent, but I use it only because I've owned it since the late 1980s/early 1990s (don't remember when). Quite good, but I cover 28mm f3.5 with my A7 kit lens. I use a 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro as my main wide lens - when I shoot wide, I want really wide.

Mel - how do you like that Tokina? I know Ken Rockwell likes it and his sample images are quite good. But then, he's not used it on an A7.

I have used it on the A7 for just a few shots, under the worst possible setting last week - ISO 2000 at a badly lit bowling alley. Below is one:

Because people on the edges of the frame were moving, and the shutter speed was really low, even for a wide angle, look at the static people, chalkboard etc. I think under landscape settings, it will be very good.

It is not a cheap lens - I saw them going for around $400 on eBay. And make sure no one crapped up the AF/MF clutch - a lot of people didn't know how to use it and forced it. It should make a definite "clunk" as it switches mode.

Also - you MUST use a thin B&W or other polarizing filter on it, and most lens shades will vignette on it. I lost mine and have had difficulty finding one that doesn't vignette full frame

Real bowling!

I really like it's angle of view and I could swear that it's lacking much distortion.

I do notice some CAs being coaxed out that light in the upper right - is this typical, or is it more noticeable on the A7?

Amazing you noted the absence of distortion - my girlfriend, who's traveled with me for 10 years, mad the same observation vs. my Tokina 11-16 on my D7000, and the 16mm/UWA on my NEX-6.

You are right on both scores - the lens is low in distortion, but wide open, has CA, mostly on the right side. I was in a hurry to upload the bowling (and other) images from her birthday party last week, and because the lens was "new to me"on FF, I didn't think to look for it.

Here's one from today, shot at f5.6. The only lens test I saw was one on photozone.de on an APS-C, and they observed that f5.6 was the sweet spot, with low drop off at smaller f-stops

Glueing room at Schwabb Mill, Arlington MA antique frame factory

The performance of this lens, plus its ability to take a polarizing filter (albeit 77mm) means I am not likely to buy the Samyang 14mm very quickly. I will wait till Sony introduces the reputed 16-35mm, which - if as good as I hope - could be welded to my A7

The absence of distortion is exciting for my cathedral/synagogue/mosque interiors, which I love. It also means I can shoot people all the way to the corners of my 17mm, which I could not do with my 11-16mm Tokina, which distorts worse than my 16mm/UWA (which is why that zoom will go up for sale soon)

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow