How much can we reduce man-made CO2 emissions?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John1940
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
How much can we reduce man-made CO2 emissions?
9 months ago

It’s one thing to debate the effect of man-made CO2 emissions but how we do it (if we do it) is what I want to address. Unfortunately, I don’t see any dramatic solutions. It’s really important to figure out how we do it and to quantify the CO2 improvement.

An automobile such as the Volt (which I like because I’m an old EE) is not going to do much. It gives 99 mpg for one charge but a gas engine is almost as good for a longish commute. Filling up the Volt's 300 pound (now 400?) electric fuel tank takes hours and it holds about 3 US gallons-worth of energy. A diesel is best for long drives but is tough to start when it's really cold. Once you get the sucker going then it goes like stink in the coldest weather. (Ask my wife if she likes the stink of my two diesel tractors!)

Big diesel trucks are not going to improve much. Nor will new jet liners. Nor will super tankers. Nor will diesel-electric locomotives. Bio fuels have major issues. Natural gas will help to reduce CO2 emissions but reduces power output also. It is better for factories than as a transportation fuel.

I'm a real nuclear power nut. For reliable (24/7) clean electrical power it ranks second to hydro-electric (HE) plants, and, except for China, there are very few HE possibilities left. The USA actually produces a pretty high amount of electrical power from windmills and solar cells, but they are not a good primary power source. So, proponents of lower CO2 emissions should get together and push for much more nuclear power.

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow