Sony A6000 already outdated by Nikon v3...........

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,258Gear list
Like?
Re: a6000 or V3?
In reply to IVN, 9 months ago

IVN wrote:

You didn't answer my question.

I guess I missed the question.

The price of the 32mm f1.2 is high, I agree, but that has nothing to do with N1's excellent AF. Huge DOF is not the reason N1 cameras have blazing fast and accurate focus, the 32mm also focuses extremely fast.

Has anyone done focusing tests with the 32/f1.8 in order to be sure that it was as quick at f1.2? That would settle that issue.

Saying that N1 cameras focus fast because of large DOF is simply wrong, and that was the point of my argument.

In theory, having a deeper DOF should make a difference.  If the focus was a bit off, it wouldn't matter if you're still in the hyperfocal range.  Like Steve said, I bet this explains fast-focusing CDAF cameras of the past.  Whether or not it makes a difference in the N1 cameras I don't know, but it makes sense that it sure wouldn't hurt.

Having said that, a more shallow DOF would help the PDAF focus better, wouldn't it?  I'm not sure about that either, but I'm willing to accept that the N1 gets the fast focus from the on-sensor PDAF.

OSPDAF is something that I had looked forward to in the Nex, and it definitely helps (and Steve would agree with that).  If it helps to speed-up  the Nex-6 focusing, it makes sense that the same technology should help with the N1.  Where the N1 really shines is being able to refocus during AF-C at a high frame rate, something that the Nex-6 doesn't seem to be able to  do; it must use the slower, normal continuous mode.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow