Is the 12-40mm good enough to forego 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,732Gear list
Like?
Re: Using the 12-40mm
In reply to rickreyn, 6 months ago

rickreyn wrote:

I'm going to have to study this post for a while. There is a lot to learn here.

Feel free to PM me or email for any particular questions about the lens or anything.

At least I have a good eye. If I learn the E-M1 backwards and forwards, I'll be very happy. I'm already better than I was before I bought it.

New gear does make one extra keen for a while, the idea is to keep that momentum rolling and keep on refining your methods and output.

Thanks for the detail, sharing all that "pro" wisdom. I'm amazed at the pros who ditched their Nikons and now shoot MFT or even bridge cameras. It's also interesting to see the quality of the shots using "such a small sensor," etc.

Definitely no pro, just been an enthusiast since about 1960.

The M4/3 16MP sensor delivers quality way past 35mm film so I'm happy. Even some shots from my wife's small sensor Casio pocket camera would make a good 16 x 20 inch print when I tried sample prints of small crops of good images.

Full frame digital cameras are for the people who used to use medium format in the old days, the image quality and size and weight are getting much the same. Been there, done that with medium format film, great results, no way now I'd carry that amount of weight any more. Older now and more sensible I guess.

I never went to the usual Nikon DSLRs in the early days because I was horrified by the dust that they collected, I waited until the Olympus DSLRs came along with their extremely successful dust removal system. No dust in 10 years of 4/3 and M4/3, can't beat that.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow