Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,182
Like?
Positives and negatives of the Fuji X-cams and more specifically the X-T1
9 months ago

Some open discussion for people to add their own thoughts.  This is where Fuji stands for me.

Pros:

Colors.  Fuji seems to know how to do colors, especially skin tones, which I assume is why they were always so popular with wedding photographers.

Full APSC support.  Fuji gets it.  Fuji is not just making APSC bodies but a full range of APSC lenses.  Fuji has single handily brought more support to APSC than Canon and Nikon combined.  While Nikon/Canon expect you to buy expensive, heavy FF lenses which defeat the purpose of the crop sensor, Fuji is focussing on lenses that take advantage of it.

Focus performance.  Speaking of that, Fuji has made some real leaps in that arena recently and is neck and neck with the mirrorless crowd.

Innovative bodies with physical controls.  Fuji isn't afraid to be different.

Post sales support.  Fuji is the best regarding updating firmware of older models.  The opposite of Sony.

Nice size vs. performance.  APSC is now equal in ISO performance, to what FF was 6-8 years ago.  16 megapixels is a nice compromise too.  It is a nice sweet spot.

Cons:

Different to be different.  I'm not convinced, for example, that Fuji is really gaining much of anything with their X-trans CFA.  I say this as an owner of the Bayer sensor X-A1 which performs quite similarly to the other X-trans with regard to high ISO performance.  It would be easier if we didn't have to use special RAW converters to get the best performance.  I'm not convinced I need an ISO dial.  Some things work fine in menus as long as you can get to them quickly.

Exposure compensation and bracketing.  I'd like to see better exposure comp work in all modes.  It makes the thought process more consistent and lets you run more consistently.  Exposure compensation needs to be the full range for bracketing.

No aftermarket support.  Fuji is too small to garner the aftermarket lens support of Tamron and Sigma.  I really wish I could buy a couple of their lenses to fill the holes, for example, the Sigma 18-35 F1.8.

No professional flashes.  Fuji's onboard flashes have marvelous control so they no how to do TTL.  Now they need to make or commission or license flash technology to power groups of flashes wirelessly.

Slower older lens technology on newer fantastic optics.  Todays lenses should be made with silent motors.

Video support.  Many might disagree but today professionals want one camera to do both.  Fuji has a little catching up to do to be satisfactory (which is all they really need to be for a good portion of the crowd) and a lot of catching up to do if they want to play with the big boys (Canon, Panasonic and Sony.)

Bottom line for me is Fuji hits most of the important notes for me.  I get attracted by other shiny objects (like the Sony A-series) but usually end up deciding they just don't quite work for me as well.

Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow