Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
dzba
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: BIF shooters, please help
In reply to Digirame, 5 months ago

Digirame wrote:

Hi again Digi,

just returned from today's outing.  I'm in the process of downloading the results now.  Want to review what the images look like on the monitor before I form an opinion.

Yes, after ISO1600 there's more noise. But I have found it acceptable, so that I can achieve the depth of field and shutter speed that I want so that a large portion of the bird is in focus and it's not blurry. Here's one at ISO5000 from my camera. According to DxO Mark the low light performance of the SL1 (100D) camera is similar to my Canon T2i (550D) camera.

This is an out-of-the-camera JPEG, that is post processed simply with IrfanView. I suppose if I shot this RAW and applied some noise reduction with other software, it would be better. But I kind of like it the way it is now. A little extra grains or noise doesn't necessarily detract from the overall image. But I suppose that's a subjective opinion, that each of us might view differently.

I don't see many hummers on branches when they're around.  You've once again shown that you have no problems using high ISO and get good results.  I'm a long way from that, at this point.   My brother got a hummer feeder so we can try our luck this summer in the mountains and maybe get some good shots of their nearby resting places.

Do you recall if you had the sharpness level set at 4 in the above image ?  I'm attempting to use FastStone for an image viewer, mainly and have just started messing with Lightroom for editing.      When I resized the pics today to post them here I lost all the exif data doing so in the smaller size.  I like having that data available to review and get a greater understanding what works and what didn't.

I'll try to check back in later tonight, but will early tomorrow after recuperating from the windy day today.  Thanks for your interest and help, Mike

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
imqqmi MOD
imqqmi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow