* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #307 14 03 12 *

Started 6 months ago | Photos thread
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,417
Like?
Reply to All:
In reply to minniev, 6 months ago

Thanks to those who responded. Yes, we in the South have some hard truths that we deal with, and I try to photograph what I can of them when possible. This is an ongoing project, in this little town with my friend. We have located her great grandmother's house site and retrieved the windows to make picture frames, and I'll be doing photos of various sites around the town for her business. Her great grandmother was one of the first African American landowners in the area and they still live on this land today.

Dave: She is committed to doing exactly what you're suggesting.When I first started going to visit her a year ago the town was pretty unkempt, with lots of trash and overgrown stuff. She and her family started going out on weekends and cleaning lots and ditches. People would ask them why they were doing it and she'd just say because it needed it, and they wanted to help. Now some other people have joined in. The town looks much better. I'm helping her with a social media site to start showing off some of the fix-up efforts, and she has made contact with the local US congressman to seek his support. So, we both believe it can happen! Working across boundaries on a project can do a lot towards healing old wounds.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow!New
LouNew
LouNew
LizNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow