Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phonebook
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
In the midst of indicision
4 months ago

Like a few others, I am thinking of upgrading from my D700- which will be kept as a second body.

I mainly shoot live music events with fast lenses- I have a holy trinity of 20-35, 24-70 and 80-200 (AFD two ring version) plus 35 1.4 and 85 1.8. I use the battery grip and an sb900 gun.

Without the flash I use ISO 3200 most of the time and the results are acceptable especially if conditions are bright enough.

I do lose a LOT in the shadows, and in live music, much of the time the artist's face is in those shadows. Worse still, I find that if the stage is lit with LED lighting - especially red, all sorts of problems arise with detail and light temperature- that really stretch the capability of ISO 3200 on that body.

Another problem I seem to have is the screen. For fun I use a Fuji xe-1 and find the screen shows my results far better- I would like my new nikon work camera to have a better rear screen than my D700.

So its time to take the plunge and get another body especially as the d3s is now in my price range used.

I have been to a shop in london and handled one- it felt fantastic. I thought the screen looked good too - however they seemed to think it was the same screen as my D700- perhaps someone knows?

I was about to make up my mind, but then I looked at DXO mark comparisons, and I realised I dont really know what all those things really mean!!

I get the feeling that what I need is more dynamic range at high ISO to pull more detail out of the shadows- but DXO mark suggests that a D7100 would be an upgrade from my D700 in that respect- don't worry i'm sure it isnt- but i just dont know what is important in those charts and what isnt!!!

Everyone I have spoken to has advised to steer clear of the D800 because I would lose dynamic range at ISO 3200 - is this so? I have read the article by bythom (and not really understanding a word) suggesting that downsizing the high ISO images from the d800 produces good results at high ISO- I would like to know what that means!!

I have tried looking at comparisons on the internet but tend to find the test subjects arent at all like the conditions I take photos in.

So I am asking- is the D3s a no brainer upgrade from my D700 in that I would see a marked improvement from ISO 2000 through 6400 (because I do feel an upgrade ought to afford me an extra stop too!)

The DXO charts say yes- but then again they say yes to a new DX sensor too!

Any comments and suggestions would be most welcome.

phonebook's gear list:phonebook's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow