ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
camelguy
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
D7100/7000 + AF-ON + spot metering?
7 months ago

Hi,

What's the best way to spot meter in Aperture Priority mode while using back-button autofocusing in AF-ON mode on a D7100/7000?

Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but isn't it the case that when using AF-ON, the back button sets focus while the shutter button meters the exposure? Let's assume that I want to spot-meter on the subject I'm focusing on. If so, as long as the subject remains in the active focal point when i press the shutter button, the spot meter point and focus point would be the same - so no problem there - right? But if I focus, remove my thumb from the back button and recompose, then the point being metered when the shutter is released is somewhere other than my focus point.  Is there an easy way to work around this so the focus point and spot metering point are the same? (As they are when focus and metering are both tied to the shutter). Or am I wrong about the way the system works, and the camera would spot-meter and lock exposure off the focus point?

Also, if using AF-C with 9 points, does spot metering even work? Or must you be shooting with just 1 point active?

thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow