Are ALL manual focus primes soft on XTrans cameras?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699Gear list
Like?
Re: Registration distance vs lens construction
In reply to Tom Schum, 6 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I agree that when the entire set of optics moves in and out to focus, the exact length of the adapter is less important, but when a lens built for a certain registration distance such as in Nikon uses INTERNAL elements to focus, the length of the adaptor can be very important.

This is because the rear element of the lens may remain stationary in such a lens and the distance between this non-moving element and the image plane is an important constant in the lens design.

It's nice to see Samyang and Rokinon and Bower lenses in Fuji X mount because the lens manufacturer now controls the registration distance exactly. Should be easy to get optimum performance with these variants. I have two Samyang lenses in x mount, the 8mm F2.8 fisheye and the 300mm F6.3 mirror tele. They are both very good on my X-E1, and the 85mm x mount is getting more and more attractive to me because I really like that focal length (price looks real good too).

I also use M42 lenses on my X-E1 with adapters. Quite a few of these lenses move the rear element (or the entire set of optics) when focusing. These work very well with low-cost adapters.

Interesting point, Tom - I hadn't considered that. Do you know whether or not the Rokinon 85 has a fixed rear element? Samyang, who actually produce this lens, is mute on that point: Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens. But it's certainly not a simple design, what with having IF and all that...

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow