Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,118
Like?
Re: Yes,
In reply to smatty, 4 months ago

smatty wrote:

fuji P wrote:

Technique / knowledge / understanding / thought / planning / vision

or set to auto and let the camera do the work?

Sigh.

Well done.

Love your focusing tips.

many people expect the camera to do all the work. And clearly a real sports photographer needs one of the big DSLR with that massive AF and huge lenses. The right tool for the job.

I'm not a 'real sports photographer' but I like shooting photos at the junior rodeo when it comes to my town. I didn't want to post a non-Fuji photo here but it's the only way I think I can illustrate. I got this shot of a calf roper moving across my field of view full-tilt, about 30 feet in front of me. I had to pan to keep the subject in the frame. How much time did I have to manually focus? Or to wait for a slower AF? Or to check my settings and re-check my settings? None. There was only a brief moment to get the shot or else all I would have gotten was the rear end of the horse. By the way, I took this with a 12mp 2008 Canon 450D (entry level DSLR) and the 55-250 IS kit zoom (<$200 lens). It has no 'massive AF', just regular DSLR phase detect circa six years ago, and hardly one of those 'huge' lenses. The camera was bought at closeout pricing and the lens was bought on Ebay 'new but unused' and the whole works didn't cost me $550 and not one piece of it says 'pro' anywhere on it.

I'm not claiming it's a fantastic photo, just posting to show that you don't need an expensive pro DSLR and a huge lens to shoot things that mere mortals sometimes want to photograph. You can't tell it by the photo but this kid and his horse were going all out.

most people here could get their shots with the X-Pro 1 if they tried to understand what the camera needs to work properly for them.

DPReview said it takes 42 seconds to write 11 RAW burst shots to the memory card, and 'not so good for shooting moving objects'. Your 'most people could...' is an assumption. 'Understanding what the camera needs to work properly for them' is not the reason people buy an expensive camera. Certainly the X-Pro 1 is great for a lot of things but I don't want to have to work around it to accommodate 'what the camera needs to work properly' for me.

But it is much easier not to improve ones own skills and go on to buy the next camera on the market...

The right tool for the job is not a matter of improving one's own skills, it's just being realistic.

I've since moved up from the 450D to a T3i (600D) because I got such a deal on it that I'd have been insane to pass it by; I then moved up to a 7D because I wanted faster burst and more buffer depth. I bought a used 7D for $800 (it was already a three year old model at the time) and I've kept my lenses from before. I actually turned a profit on the T3i which defrayed the cost for the 7D. Some people DO keep rushing out to buy the newest model. I've seen that behavior from people using many kinds and brands of cameras.

Everyone how he/she likes

That much is true.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow