Started 6 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
revdave
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
Solid, unsexy, practical tool.
6 months ago

I have a emotional relationship with my lenses. They are like my children. They each have their special gifts and unique qualities. But I can't say I've ever had a deep love relationship with this lens. It's rather simple, rather plain, and just darn practical. It's like the time I bought my first mini-van. Terribly unsexy, but frustratingly essential.

That's the kind of relationship I have with the Tamron. Would I rather have Canon's 2.8L?  Heck yes! Anyone who's ever felt the love of an L lens knows the feel of luxury.  When pros see the Tamron on your body, they'll think you're a kit lens guy.  It's that unsexy.  But the unsexy Tamron is so sharp, so compact, and responsive enough to mean that I'll never justify expensive luxury of the L version.

So in the end, I recommend the minivan practicality of this lens. It works and works beautifully, and at a great price (I bought mine years ago when it was even cheaper). Mine is sharp, even wide open. The focus is a little loud, but fast enough. It doesn't hunt a lot. The zoom range works for me. Versatile and (sorry) practical. I've bought numerous primes with the intent of selling this lens, but when I hold it before the gods of eBay, I just can't let go. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, I wonder why I don't use it more often. In fact, several times, I've packed my sexy lenses for a shoot only to put them back last the last minute and grab this. Sometimes you want to drive the Corvette, but you just need the minivan.

My only concern is the build quality. The plastic piece that you attach the lens hood to is loose or partially broken. I'm a little rough on lenses, so that's probably on me. But I'd say the only real difference between this and the L is build quality and price. Image wise, I'm not sure you'd note much of a difference.

revdave's gear list:revdave's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
revdave's score
Average community score
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow