Metering mode opinions, what do you use and why?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
Metering mode opinions, what do you use and why?
7 months ago

I love spot metering, but the huge problem with it for me is I always forget to meter off a mid-range color.  I pop a shot and it is bright as heck or too dark, then it hits me that I am metering off a very light or dark object.

This gets annoying even though I love the control when you use spot merting correctly.

So, how many just use zone metering where the camera just averages the different areas of the frame, and do you guys find that the camera does a good job of this, or does it consistently over or under expose your shots?  Of course, I guess you still have to be careful because even zone can be off if there is too much bright or dark in the frame.  That's the one thing I love about the spot metering is that it gives you much more control when you yourself can find a mid range tone and meter off of it.  I don't like the thought of losing that control with zone, but I will give up my control if I can just get used to the camera averaging everything out and being confident that it will do the job well.

On top of that, I just love reading long threads where everyone is discussing the pros and cons of how they use the cameras metering system--makes for interesting reading.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow